In a remarkable development, a high powered bi-partisan movement of Abia Leaders of Thought yesterday, paid a courtesy call to the Senate President, Ahmed Lawan, at the Senate Wing of the National Assembly.
The delegates included in no particular order;
- Orji Kalu, MON (former Governor of Abia State, Senate Chief Whip and Senator representing Abia North)
- Senator T.A. Orji (former Governor of Abia State, Senator representing Abia Central)
- Senator Chris Adighije (former Senator, Abia Central and leader of the delegates)
- Senator Nkechi Nwogu, CON (former Senator, Abia Central)
- Nkiruka Onyejeocha, CON (Deputy Chief Whip, and Member representing Isuikwuato/Umunneochi Federal Constituency)
- Benjamin Okezie Kalu (Official Spokersperson of House and Member representing Bende Federal Constituency)
- Chris Akomas (former Deputy Governor of Abia State)
- Emeka Wogu, CON
- Solomon Adaelu (Member representing Obingwa Federal Constituency)
- Darlington Nwokocha (Member representing Isialangwa North and South Federal Constituency)
- Nyerere Anyim (National Pensions Board and former APC Governorship Aspirant)
- Stanley Ohajiriuka (Former Speaker Abia State House of Assembly and former Member representing Ikwuano/Umuahia Federal Constituency)
- Prestige Ossy (Member representing Aba North, Aba South Federal Constituency)
- Nkem Abonta (Member representing Ukwa East/Ukwa West Federal Constituency)
- Sam Onuigbo (Member representing Ikwuano/Umuahia Federal Constituency)
- Chief Sam Nkire (former Commissioner of Agriculture in old Imo State and former National Party Chairman)
- Chidia Maduekwe (MD., Nigeria Films Board)
- Acho Obioma (former member representing Umuahia Ikwuano Federal Constituency)
- Bishop Okey Nwaubani (ex-Abia Commissioner to NDDC Board)
- Chief Mark Wabara (former MD. Hallmark Bank)
- Martin Azubuike (former Speaker, Abia House of Assembly)
- Nnanna Uzor Kalu (former Member representing Aba North/Aba South Federal Constituency)
- Umeh Kalu, SAN (former Attorney-General, Abia State Government)
- Chief Mascot Uzor Kalu (former Chief of Staff Abia State Government)
- Chief Henry Ikoh (industrialist, owner of Harmony Foams Umuahia)
- Chief Dan Okereke (entrepreneur, promoter of Swiss Hotel, Port Harcourt)
- Chief Nduka Anyanwu (former NEC member, APC)
Also in attendance was the Senate President, Deputy Senate President, Senate Chief Whip and Senate Deputy Chief Whip.
The group visited to express their gratitude to the Senate for preserving the seat of the Senate Chief Whip, Dr. Orji Kalu during his absence and also to request for a Commissioner position for Abia State in the National Assembly Service Commission.
The meeting began with Dr. Emeka Wogu introducing the delegates and then calling up the leader of the team Sen. Adighije who then took the time to celebrate the Senate President and the Senate leadership for supporting Dr. Orji Kalu during his absence from the Senate. He expressed appreciation for all their efforts to see that the position of Chief Whip occupied by Dr. Kalu was left vacant for Abia State until justice was done in the matter.
After appreciating the Senate leadership, Sen. Adighije seized the opportunity to request for the implementation of the federal character principle in the appointment of commissioners of the National Assembly Service Commission, which he argued was ripe for the membership of an Abian according to the rotation formula adopted for that position with Imo State.
He ended by pledging the support of the leadership of Abia State to the Senate President throughout his tenure.
In response, the Senate President thanked the august visitors, and commended Abia leaders of thought for their bi-partisan approach to state development anchored on unity. He maintained that this was the first of its kind in a long time where politicians across party lines would openly to work together for the advancement of their state. He therefore called on others to emulate such leadership style.
Taking taking time to explain his cordial relationship with Dr. Orji Kalu, the Senate President described it to be over 40 years starting from their days as roommates in Maiduguri. He stated that the Senate never had any doubt that justice would be done in Dr. Kalu’s matter and then went ahead to state that the National Assembly would always support theirs in true spirit of camaraderie.
Speaking on the visitors’ request to secure Abia’s position in the National Assembly Service Commission, the Senate President promised to look into it after making the necessary consultations.
Before rounding up, the Senate President took time to eulogize the members sent by Abians to the National Assembly as people who have been found worthy to handle leadership responsibilities specifically celebrating Dr. Kalu (Senate Chief Whip), Rep. Onyejeocha (Deputy Chief Whip of the House) and Rep. Benjamin Kalu (Official Spokesperson of the House) whom he described as not only working for the House of Representatives, but as doing a great job for the entire institution of the National Assembly.
A warm vote of thanks was given by Deputy Chief Whip, Rep. Onyejeocha who thanked the Senate President for granting audience to the delegation.